Special Educational Needs
Carolyn Panting is our SENCO, if you wish to discuss your child's needs or provision with her then please make an appointment at the office or she can be contacted on her work email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Coffee Mornings:
We are thrilled at the success and attendance for our new SEND Coffee Mornings. We have loved seeing so many of you come. Julie-Ann, Stef and I are already planning our next sessions we have set the dates for the next 3 meetings, they are:
Friday, 10th March 2023 - Disability Quiz - interactive learning session all about neurodiversity.
Friday, 28th April 2023 - Using visuals at home to support SLCN, ASD, ADHD and Processing.
Friday, 16th June - Preparing for the summer holidays - support, tips, advice and activities.
If you have any topics you would like to see covered, please just pop it on an email to me. I will update the new topics on here as soon as I have finalised them. Please also keep an eye on the school newsletter for more updates.
We are so proud to have achieved ELKLAN Communication Friendly Status. All of our staff attended specialist training and we were awarded our certificates in July 2022. Miss Panting and Mrs Wright are our school Communication Champion Leads. We are all proud to promote speech, language and communication across the school.
We are also the proud leads of one of Tendring's only Communication Hubs for Speech and Language. We work with dozens of pre-schools, nursery settings, childminders and primary schools to improve speech and language outcomes for children with SEND.
'Talking Point' was set up in September 2022 as a way of raising awareness and understanding for neurodiversity within our community. We will shine a spotlight on different conditions each month. Please see below for more information.
For April's topic we are going to focus on speech sound difficulties:
Below are helpful links to support March's topic Dyslexia and Specific Literacy Difficulties (SLD):
- https://youtu.be/11r7CFlK2sc - What is dyslexia?
- What is dyslexia? - British Dyslexia Association (bdadyslexia.org.uk)
- What is Dyslexia? - The Dyslexia Association - The Dyslexia Association
- Dyslexia: What is it? - CBBC Newsround
Below are helpful links to support December's topic of ASD:
- Autism: What is it? - CBBC Newsround
- What is autism
- Where to get support if you're autistic - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Symptoms of Autism - Child Autism UK - releasing potential
Below are helpful links to support November's topic of ADHD:
- ADHDAwarenessMonth 2022 – Understanding a Shared Experience
- TADD Talks for ADHD Awareness! - ADDA - Attention Deficit Disorder Association
- Children with ADHD Archives - ADHD Aware
- Home - ADHD Foundation : ADHD Foundation
Below are some helpful links to support October's topic of DLD:
- Developmental Language Disorder | RADLD
- Understanding Developmental Language Disorder (speechandlanguage.org.uk)
- The Communication Trust (speechandlanguage.org.uk)
- Developmental Language Disorder | DLD (thedldproject.com)
Below are some helpful links to support September's topic of Mental Health Awareness:
Resources for supporting children:
Helpful information and sites which offer support and advice for parents and families:
Games & Resources Archive - TLC (tlc-essex.info)
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Policy and Information regarding SEND at Alresford Primary School: