Modern Foreign Languages
Meet our MFL co-ordinator, Mrs Creber.
In our school we are committed to the principle that learning another language helps foster curiosity and develop an understanding of other cultures and the world in general. We believe that learning to speak, read and write in another language will provide the foundation for learning other languages, which in turn will provide important opportunities for future study and work in other countries. In our school we study French.
Our main objectives in the teaching of French are to develop linguistic competence and confidence in speaking, reading and writing as well as developing an understanding of cultures in the world around us. To achieve this, we will assist the children to:
- Familiarise themselves with the sounds of spoken and written French;
- Begin to understand a new language and use it to communicate;
- Make comparisons between languages;
- Learn about different countries and their people;
- Develop a positive attitude towards learning a foreign language;
- Use their knowledge of a foreign language with growing confidence, both to understand what they hear and read, and to express themselves in speech and writing;
- Acquire through the above, a sound foundation for future study at KS3 and beyond.
See what's been going on in MFL at Alresford
Building sentences in Year 4
Developing sentences about the Planets in Year 5.